Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Boob Tube

The boob tube is always on in our house...even if it is just in the background. Unfortunately, my daughter just has to watch "her shows"!! Guh! I hate how much she feels like she needs to watch TV. What makes it even worse is that she seems to be trying to grow up too fast. The kind of hold that the television has on her and the kind of influences it's characters often portray aren't always the best. I am not the type of mom that follows every parenting rule out there, but I do have certain boundaries in this category. I grew up on PBS and the Disney Channel as a kid. So, of course, I thought it was fine for my kids to watch both as well. Then I realized that my child would act out the shows she was watching. Totally fine - except that she was hooked on episodes of Wizards of Waverly Place, Hannah Montana, and what used to be The Suite Life of Zack and Cody/The Suite Life on Deck. All of these shows are fine and dandy except that each has a character that is spoiled, rambunctious, and a rule breaker. Needless to say, my children don't get to watch afternoon shows on the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon. Instead, they are hooked on PBS and Nick Jr. These teach lessons geared more toward the 5 and under age range. However, even these warrant keeping an eye on.

I don't have a problem with any of the shows on PBS. These all offer educational options and opportunities even if the songs get rather repetitive and the characters can be rather annoying to most adults - but that is how children learn isn't it? My hubby hates how often the same episodes air and often motions the shape of a  gun to his head when certain songs are sung. But at least she's not picking up any sort of bad attitude from the characters. My kids' favorites are Caillou, Curious George, and Sesame Street. To the youngsters, these are innocent cartoons that they can relate to. Yet, adults get it in their minds that the creators of these shows are trying to send mixed messages to our children. Adults question, "Are Ernie and Bert gay?," "Why is Caillou bald at the age of 4?," and "What does the man in the yellow hat actually do?" Really? The minds of children don't work that way. There are very smart and advanced children in the audience, but they are simple at the same time. So, instead it's more manageable to adults to have their children watching Spongebob Squarepants which offers no real educational value at all. We should be more open-minded to what appeals to our children while offering some type of depth rather than what we can manage listening to over and over.



As for Nick Jr., I really don't take up issues with most of the shows on this channel. However, there are a couple that get to me. For example, Max and Ruby. Why are two young children living on their own? And since my daughter has become rather jealous of her little brothers, it is hard to accept that Ruby always has to have it her way and disregards her little brother, Max, on a regular basis. And then there is Olivia. It is fun to have such a girly character who is ambitious and portrays a realistic big sister who finds her younger brother a "bother" yet still attempts to get along with him. On the other hand, she can be a little too self-centered of a character when I am trying to teach my own daughter how to empathize with others.



But for the most part, television has been a great tool at teaching my children valuable lessons. My daughter was never one to learn much from me. I tried teaching her to write and teaching her colors and to count, but of course it produced nada results. But as soon as Barney started to sing or Dora counted in both English and Spanish, etc., she picked up on them right away. I agree that one on one time or imaginary play or socializing shouldn't be replaced by the boob tube, but I do appreciate the number of positive shows there actually are and I also appreciate the occasional break I get from kids hollering "MOM." "MOM." "MOOOOM!" all afternoon.

The whole point here is merely to discuss positives and negatives of our children watching TV. My personal view is that it's fine for kids to have screen time because it reserves some of my sanity and also that a lot can be taken away from many kids' shows on these days, but only if we filter what they watch and take our children into consideration rather than just ourselves. I'm not judging you for allowing your children to watch episodes that offer no educational content. I mean, our minds need a break from flexing those brain muscles sometimes (which is why I watch ridiculous "reality" TV like Keeping up with the Kardashians and all of it's spin offs). But we should take as many opportunities as we can to flex those same muscles as well.

Have a great one!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment