Thursday, September 27, 2012

Color Me Wonderful

I've been mentioning several projects that I've been wanting to work on lately. I have a whole list of things I want to do, try, finish. Well, last night I got out my sewing machine and got to work. It's been a minute since I've actually used it, but luckily it's kind of like riding a bike - once you get started it all comes back to you. I threaded the machine with the color I intended to use and got right down to it.

On a recent visit to a nearby flea market-esque shop, I found a couple of scarves that caught my eye. They were a pair of vintage Vera silk-blend scarves. They were very vibrant in color and in pretty good condition. Ever since I saw a particular episode of The Nate Berkus Show, I've been wanting to make a pillow of scarves. So here these two pieces of fragile material were and I just had to take it home with me. I'm pretty excited about this project seeing as we just bought a new couch. The living room is looking a little blah to me so in order to add some color as well as some character, I thought this would be just the right time to get started. Once I did, I realized that these are unique and awesome and that I needed to share it with others. So, I looked online and bought a couple more vintage scarves off of Etsy and have turned them all into pillows. :) I am keeping a couple for myself, but am also planning on selling some on my own Etsy page that has not yet been posted, but I will definitely be putting up a link once I do.

Here are the results of my recent sewing adventure.

Materials: scarves, white fabric, pins, and thread. Simplicity :)



The purple and pink pillows will be up for sale once I open my shop on Etsy. The black and white pillow to the far right is actually a pillow cover that I made for a toss pillow we already had and was getting tired of. :)

Another project I crossed of my list of projects to do are melty bead bowls. These are made from perler beads placed inside an oven-safe bowl and melted to take on its shape. Once cool it is its own little bowl. I am making my creations available on Etsy as well. They are fun and abstract and everyone needs some color in their homes. Color makes people happy.


Aren't these fun?! You can do them on your own or with your kids as well! Just take a bunch of perler beads you can find at your local craft store, spray some cooking spray in your oven-safe bowl and bake for 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees. Once it cools, they just fall right out.

Have a great night!


No comments:

Post a Comment